My Imaginary Interview with Rick Riordan

Wow, thank you. I'm sure that help a lot of young writers, starting with me, of course. Anyway, thank you for giving me your time. We shall all be eagerly awaiting your next books.

So, hey guys! This was my English project. I had to write an imaginary interview with Rick Riordan. Okay, not exactly Rick Riordan, well here's the question-

Imagine you are a journalist and are given the opportunity to interview one of your favourite all time story-teller/ author. Write a report with the help a questionnaire that you prepared for the interview.

So I chose Rick Riordan, author of the Percy Jackson series, which is my favourite series ever! Anyway, most of my answers are made up. except for the ones I can't make up, like his inspiration or his message to young readers and stuff. I hope you like it and here goes...

The Interview (not the movie)

Let me just begin by saying that it is a HUGE honour to be allowed to interview you. You're my all-time favourite author.

Thank you. Really, it is no big deal, and it is me who feels honoured to be interviewed. Shall we begin.....?

My first question is and probably is the most commonly asked- What inspired you to write the Percy Jackson series?

My son Haley asked me to tell him some bedtime stories about the Greek gods and heroes. I had taught Greek myths for many years at the middle school level, so I was glad to comply. When I ran out of myths, he was disappointed and asked me if I could make up something new with the same characters.

I thought about it for a few minutes. Then I remembered a creative writing project I used to do with my sixth graders — I would let them create their own demigod hero, the son or daughter of any god they wanted, and have them describe a Greek-style quest for that hero. Off the top of my head, I made up Percy Jackson and told Haley all about his quest to recover Zeus’ lightning bolt in modern day America. It took about three nights to tell the whole story, and when I was done, Haley told me I should write it out as a book.

Wow, you were a teacher? How did your students feel about you writing a Bestseller and critically acclaimed series?

We never talked about it much in the classroom, but most of them were aware that I wrote books. I suppose they thought it was cool, but they had a lot of other stuff to think about, being in middle school. Homework, peer pressure, who likes whom — all these tend to take priority over what their teacher does.

They would often say, "Wow, you write books? Can I be a character?" And I did frequently use names of former students for my characters, but the kids were always surprised how long it took to get a name into print. If I meet a student in middle school, he/she will probably be in high school by the time the book is actually written and in the bookstores.

 So, many characters were the names of your students? Which ones? Did they resemble the characters in your book?

Some names were picked as shout-outs to people I knew. Mrs. Dodds is based (loosely) on a real Mrs. Dodds who taught math at the school where I worked. Mr. Brunner was the Latin teacher there. Connor Stoll, Travis Stoll, and Charles Beckendorf are all former students of mine. I also had students named Miranda, Nico, Luke Castellan, Jason and Nancy Bobofit. And no, they did not resemble the real students, but I guess they had SOME features that were similar.


Do you have a Tumblr account?

Yes, I do.

So you must have come across those crazy fangirls, right?

Ha-ha, yes I do come across those fangirls. I still think they need therapy, or at least a life. I mean, those guys planned out the future of all the characters in the series. I once read this post about how all the characters would look like after 15 years, how Percy and Annabeth were sitting on the beach watching their kids play. The same thing happened with all other characters, but Nico and Reyna were sitting in the corner, feeling lonely like hell. I swear, that made me sad and happy and nostalgic and filled me with so many other feelings I couldn’t bother to name. I ought to let the fangirls write my books for me, except that they would probably go into a fully-fledged war over who dates whom and that can’t be good. Besides, I have to admit I find fan fiction a little unsettling. It's like somebody getting into my closet and trying on my clothes. It's just weird seeing someone else try to write about my characters.

If you ever got to meet the heroes in your series, what would you say to them?

Honestly, I would just troll the characters by telling them that I am the author of their ENTIRE FREAKIN’ lives and so technically I am their dad. Okay, actually, I would just do that so that I could go to Luke Castellan and say ‘Luke, I am your father.’  Man that would be epic.

Okay, which brings me to my next question, did you fashion any character after yourself?

I guess I have parts of me scattered into all characters. Besides, I believe, that when a writer weaves the personality of a character, he just creates a mirror image of a deeper part of himself, an alter ego of sorts. Either that or the character is based off on someone he knows. It’s kind of deep and sentimental when you think about it. Though, Percy has my sense of humour. Like him, I was not always a good student in school. Percy is also based on many students I have taught in the past, and partly on my son’s own struggle with ADHD/dyslexia.

Were you involved in the making of the movies? Because the movies were terrible. They destroyed the book.

No. When an author sells the rights to a book, typically full creative control goes to the movie studio and director — in this case, Fox 2000 and Chris Columbus. The movie rights to Lightning Thief were sold before the book was even published. I made the decision to sell the rights so early because it brought lots of public attention to the books and helped the series catch on. However, once the movie rights are sold, the author has no control over what happens in the movie. They let me read a version of the script and make some suggestions, but that was the extent of my involvement. I can’t tell you anything further about the movie. I didn't even see it. Nor can I give you contact information for anyone who was involved in the movie. Sorry!

Is there really a Camp Half Blood at Long Island Sound?  I know it sounds stupid of me to ask...

No. Contrary to popular beliefs, there is no Camp Half Blood in Long Island, despite what some people say. There is a camp that is based on it in Texas, because that's where I live. I do believe that there are others around the country (and in the hearts of my beloved readers), but I'm not entirely sure where they are. But, contrary to popular belief, there is no REAL CHB that trains demigods. Where do people get these dumb ideas..?!

Sheesh, no need to get so mad about it. A kid can dream, can’t he?

I suppose so....

Anyway, my last and final question, the answer to which I hope I can sear into my brain- Any advice for young writers everywhere?

I started writing seriously when I was in eighth grade. I had an English teacher who encouraged me to submit my work for publication.

I became a middle school English teacher largely because of the impact Mrs. Pabst had on me so many years ago, and I love having the chance to encourage kids to write the way I was encouraged. 
That’s one of the reasons I was not anxious to leave the classroom to pursue full-time writing.

The first thing a young writer needs is a mentor who believes in his or her talent. So don’t be afraid to ask for help! Find a teacher you respect. Correspond with authors. You will find that a polite email will often get a response.

Secondly, read a lot! Read everything you can get your hands on. You will learn the craft of writing by immersing yourself in the voices, styles, and structures of writers who have gone before you.
Thirdly, write every day! Keep a journal. Jot down interesting stories you heard. Write descriptions of people you see. It doesn't really matter what you write, but you must keep up practice. Writing is like a sport — you only get better if you practice. If you don’t keep at it, the writing muscles atrophy.
Finally, don’t get discouraged! Rejection is a part of writing, and it hurts. The trick is to keep at it. Wallpaper your room with rejection notes, if you want, but don’t give up.

Wow, thank you. I'm sure that help a lot of young writers, starting with me, of course. Anyway, thank you for giving me your time. We shall all be eagerly awaiting your next books. 

...And that concludes my fake interview. Hope you guys enjoyed it. If you do please subscribe/comment/share. If not, share it anyway. 
Yours in Demigodishness,

Unniposeidon.

Comments

  1. Go to blogger dashboard. go to reading list. Jam my link in it. TA DA! Doesn't matter if you don't have a blog. Blogger provides yoou with a default one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts